Pages

Sunday 16 September 2012

Top pregnancy apps

Finding out that you're pregnant has got to be one of the most emotional experiences I've ever been through. I didn't know it was possible to feel quite so happy and terrified all at once. I remember then the second thought was, "what happens now?".

The only thing I knew was that I needed to visit my GP but then the only advice I got was to make an appointment with the midwife and then what I should and shouldn't eat. However, what I really wanted to know was what was going on inside. I couldn't get enough information, I absorbed everything and this is where my iPhone mobile apps became my constant friend even to this day. I currently have four on my phone and here is my review:

Sprout app - Lite version (free), full version (£2.49)

Key features:

  • Lifelike Fetal imagery
  • 3D imagery
  • Week by week advice
  • Pregnancy timeline
  • Prep for doctor appointments
  • Checklists
  • Weight tracker
  • Kick counter
  • Contraction counter
My thoughts

In all honesty this is probably the app I use least. In the beginning I really loved the 3D images they are by far the best but they just didn't offer as much information as other apps. As the updates are weekly and not daily I got out of the habit of using it. In the first three months in particular you don't live your pregnancy by the week but by the day. It is easy to use and the weight tracker is quite useful. 

What to Expect: Pregnancy Tracker - Free


Key features: 
  • Due date calculator and countdown
  • Week by week details and daily tips throughout your pregnancy
  • Updates on your changing body
  • Opportunity to upload weekly photos of your tummy
  • Access to forums
My thoughts

I've got the book, I've seen the film (rubbish) and now I've got the app. Whilst I do view this one almost daily it's not that great. For a start it's designed for the US market and hasn't been adapted for us in the UK so some of the daily tips are very americanised which is a little frustrating. Also, if you're a what to expect follower you'll know that they tend to work in weeks ahead not weeks completed i.e. if I'm 23 weeks and 6 days most apps would you say 23 weeks but they count it as your 24th. However, I do like the fact that you can have daily updates as well as weekly and you can add your photos as a diary. They also tell you the approximate size of your baby and give a vegetable or fruit comparison, something I love relating to friends and family. 

Baby Center App - Free (available on app and android store)



Key features
  • My pregnancy day by day
  • Fetal development images
  • Pregnancy checklist
  • Award-winning videos
  • Birth clubs
  • Due date calculator
  • Nutrition guide
My thoughts

This is another that I use daily but don't rate that highly. Again I use it because it updates daily and particularly in the beginning the information is really interesting. I also LOVE the videos, they're really informative and my husband gets particularly excited about these updates. However, after awhile you can't help but feel they've run out of things to add. Perhaps it would be better if they split up some of the weekly facts and concentrated on one in the daily pieces? The rest of the features are also slightly poor and never really used. 


Pregnancy+ - Free (gives you first trimester and then you can upgrade to Pregnancy ++ for £1.99)


Key features: 
  • Weekly and daily info on your pregnancy
  • HD belly and fatal pictures
  • Due date calculator
  • Star signs
  • Health/ diet/ exercise/ medical
  • Weight tracker
  • Baby shopping list
  • Baby names list
  • Doctor's notes
My thoughts: 

This is by far my favourite app because it has loads of useful information. The images of your embroyo are colourful and informative. The daily and weekly updates are useful and also informative. Plus I use the additional features regularly e.g. food advice (when I'm in a restaurant and can't remember which cheese is and isn't ok), size guide (what fruit or veg am I this week), star signs (what to look out for with a capricorn). If you only download one app of all the ones that I've tried this is the one I'd definitely recommend! It's worth the spend... 


No comments:

Post a Comment