Pages

Friday 14 September 2012

Maternity jeans review

Shopping for maternity clothes online has taken up quite a lot of my time recently as I'm beginning to expand a more rapid rate. However, whilst flattering tops and dresses I can find in abundance, nicely cut and comfortable maternity jeans are not. I have to say this is what I've found most disappointing. So many people who'd been pregnant before me raved about being able to slop around in maternity jeans and how comfortable they were. One friend even still puts hers on two years after the birth of her daughter because she loves them so but I have really struggled finding them.

With this in mind I decided to go on a bit of a mission to try and find a pair that I love to and whilst I have finally discovered them I thought I'd let you know about some of my findings along the way:

Next - Bootcut Narrow Band Maternity Jeans - £28


These were the first pair of jeans I bought because I'm generally a huge fan of Next. I think they offer really good quality clothes at a reasonable high street price. However, I've been really disappointed by these mainly because they offer a really limited range of movement. Don't worry I'm not planning cartwheels but I found even walking pulled quite tight across my thighs and the jean material just feels stiff. They have improved with washing and tumble drying but they're probably my least favourite and the pair I wear when the others are in the wash.  

H&M - MAMA Jeans - £24


I only acquired these jeans this week and I have so say for a sloppy pair they're pretty good. I don't really suit boot cut which for many brands is the only style they offer but they just accentuate my curves and with maternity tops being long, skinny and straight styles are a lot more flattering. I was a little apprehensive about another cheaper high street brand but I have to say these are pretty comfy. They're not overly flattering and won't be great for work but if you're looking for a cheap pair I would definitely recommend them.

JoJo Maman Bebe - Dark Wash Straight Leg maternity jeans - £29


When it comes to buying tops and dresses I find shopping online quite fun but when it comes to trousers I very rarely buy without seeing. I've got a pretty standard figure but I do have some curves so jeans can often be something quite tricky, some are really flattering and some just make my thighs like humongous. So when I ran out of options on the high street it was with apprehension that I started looking online and when these arrived I was still really unsure. In fact I didn't even try them on for a week because I was worried they weren't going to fit or look really unflattering. However, one morning I did finally pluck up the courage and was genuinely really surprised. They sit quite low so can only be worn with really long tops and are a little on the short side so they'll be worn with flats but overall they're really nice. The material is stretchy so whereas with the two previous pairs they'll last until the end and grow with me. They also feel soft so they'll be comfy when I'm sitting in the car on long journeys which I do quite regularly. These are a pair that will definitely be worn regularly over the coming months.

Seraphine - Grey Luxe Skinny Jeans - £65


These jeans were definitely the most expensive but trust me they're worth it and a must have in every potential yummy mummy's wardrobe. The material is so soft they feel as good as just wearing a pair of leggings and they're also surprisingly flattering. I mentioned above that I'm slightly curvy so I was worried that a light shade might make thighs look bigger but I've had loads of compliments when I've been wearing them in recent weeks. They can also be used to dress up or dress down depending on your day. Plus they were worn by January Jones and Jessica Alba during their pregnancies so if you don't believe my style advice then take theirs!


Now I just need to justify getting the black pair to Mr W, hmmmm.... www.seraphine.com

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list. I've been looking for maternity jeans.

    We've just found out that I'm pregnant, so I've been spending the past few days looking around online at maternity wear. Thankfully it's much better than when my Mum had me and my brother. I think I'm going to get mothercare maternity clothes for all my basics (because it's cheap!), then pick up a few nice tops, skirts and jeans from the places you've listed.

    Thanks again! It's scary trying to find pretty clothes when you know you're pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow congratulations!! In the beginning I found the over the bump jeans best because they need something to hold onto to stay up ;-).

      Also check out the collection in Debenhams from red herring... I've bought absolutely loads from there in terms of basics because I think what they offer is really reasonable and good quality. It is hard though because maternity clothes can be hideously expensive.

      Anyway good luck with it all!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the advice. I think Mum has lots of points she'll never use on her Debenhams card, so I'll 'help her' with those like a good daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good reviews! I can recommend dorothy perkins skinny jeans also, they actually stay up! I have a maternity fashion blog, check it out for any other tips! http://scarlettandme.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/new-season-new-wardrobe/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scarlett! I didn't even know that DP did maternity things so I'll definitely be checking that out and your blog.

      Take care,

      Becky

      Delete