Pages

Wednesday 18 July 2012

Top sleeping tips during pregnancy


Over the last couple of weeks I’ve found that I’ve really been struggling to get to sleep, which I’m a little worried about considering this is supposed to be the time when it’s supposed to be easiest.

So, I’ve been doing some research and picking up tips to help which I thought I might share in case anyone else in having the same issues:

  1. Try to cut down on your fluid intake in the evening so you don’t wake up with a full bladder
  2. Apparently eggs, milk, tuna and turkey contain goodness that encourages the production of serotonin, that has a calming effect and aids sleep
  3. Chamomile and lavender are known to help with sleep so why not try Mum & Me’s Sleep Mist. I found it in the baby section of Boots for £4.99 and it really helps
  4. The breathing techniques they teach you in yoga are great for helping you relax
  5. Try and sleep on your left hand side, as it’s best for baby. Lying on your back after 16 weeks should definitely be avoided as it could be restricting your blood flow
  6. Pregnancy pillows or just an extra pillow that you can put between your legs can help relieve pressure on your hips later on in pregnancy when your bump is bigger
  7. If you’re waking up hungry eat foods at meal times that contain slow releasing carbs (wholemeal bread and pasta) or that are high in protein (plain yoghurt with honey)
  8. Try and get into a relaxing routine before bed that signals to your brain its bedtime. Have a relaxing bath, some hot milk and read a book. Definitely no TV – one of my terrible habits.
  9. Finally, I personally find it really relaxing when Mr W strokes my head. It just helps me forget all my worries and regulate my breathing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment