Pages

Wednesday 22 August 2012

20 weeks - the half way point!!

Wow! After what can only be described as what feels like a marathon we've reached the half way point! I can't actually believe we're finally here and we now know that we're having a boy!!!



The last week has actually felt like an emotional roller coaster waiting for the scan, I've never felt so excited at the prospect of seeing him again and then so worried that they'd find something wrong. It was also quite frustrating because all anyone around me could talk about is what the sex would be and I just felt like shouting, "Does it really matter?".

The 20 week scan

So this took place, luckily, very early on Monday morning. After a pretty restless night's sleep Mr W and I walked into the scanning room and waited to find out how he was doing. I knew there was nothing drastically wrong as he'd been kicking like a little monkey all weekend, I even felt a summersault at one point. However, when you read the NHS pamphlet we all get provided with which explains what they'll be testing for, you can't help feeling apprehensive.

We were really lucky though because we had a great sonographer who put us at rest straightaway but literally, just getting on with it. She went over each organ in turn, checking blood flow and taking measurements. I think the most fascinating with was the heart as you could see the blood rushing in and out of all the four chambers of the heart. You could also see him swallowing some of the amniotic fluid and his little tongue moving as he did so!


Unfortunately though he was in the middle of his nap time so the process ended up being a lot longer as they couldn't move him to see everything immediately. In fact I had to go for two walks and drink both hot and cold drinks to get him to move the tiniest fraction so they could check the spine and kidneys. Fortunately though everything looked normal and healthy, so no more scans for us. Unless we want to pay for one of course.

Finding out the sex

As you may know from previous posts and tweets I was initially quite worried about finding out the sex mainly because everyone had their hearts set on a girl and I knew it was boy. I can't say why I knew I just had a feeling.

However, when we saw for certain that he was a boy in the scan we really couldn't have been more thrilled and excited to shout it from the roof tops. Although I come from a family of three girls, the only baby I actually know is my nephew from Mr W's side so I feel a lot more confident having a boy. Plus I love the idea of going to watch rugby, football or whatever they're into every saturday. No matter how cold it is outside. I also growing up always wanted a big brother to look after me and stand up for me, so it was a really nice surprise.

Mr W felt him kick!

Then top it all off this week, yesterday Mr W actually felt him kicking in my tummy. We've been excitedly putting his hand on my tummy for weeks hoping he'd be able to feel him wriggling around but to no avail until yesterday. He seems to get really excited when music is playing or at night so we keep trying to play him things to get a reaction. Well at least I'm hoping he's kicking with excitement and not annoyance or my husband will be very disappointed ;-).

Getting fit again

The final change that I've made this week, is that I'm starting to get down the gym again. I was really nervous before and had really just been sticking to trying to do lots of walking but yesterday I finally took the plunge, quite literally in aqua zumba.

I was slightly nervous when I first turned up because I was the youngest person there by about 25 years but everyone was really friendly. I was also initially sceptical when we were just jogging around the pool for the warm up but as soon the weights came out it became a real challenge. My arms were absolutely exhausted by the end! I'd really recommend aqua classes to anyone who's thinking about them. They're just great because everything you do is low impact but you can really feel your muscles getting a good work out, especially your arms!

Then today I went back to studio zumba which was always one of my favourite workouts. It was slightly frustrating not being able to leap around as much as before but I really enjoyed just having a bit of a dance. It's nice to do something and just forget about everything and as I said muffin loves music so it's a win win situation.

Now roll on the rest of my pregnancy and let's pray that the next 20 weeks go a lot quicker then the first...

No comments:

Post a Comment