Pages

Monday 22 October 2012

The British Red Cross throws down the gauntlet to parents to take the First Aid challenge

Did you know that apparently two thirds of women don't feel confident in children's first aid? Well according to some new research by The British Red Cross that is the case and I have to say I do fall into the  two thirds category. 

It was only two months ago that I actually saw a man collapse on the street and had to administer CPR until an ambulance arrived. Whilst the whole scenario was absolutely terrifying when I looked back, at the time I didn't think twice because as a teenager the skills were drilled into me so I managed everything on autopilot. However, if that man had actually been a child I really don't think I would have had the same confidence and  therefore getting mine and my husband's skills up to scratch is something we have been discussing. 

So I was very pleasantly surprised that The Red Cross have also recognised the issue and will actually be running a campaign launching on Friday 26th October at The Baby Show, Earl's Court, which will then run until the end of the year. 


Joe Mulligan, British Red Cross head of first aid education, commented:

“We know that the majority of parents want to learn first aid, but may not get round to it for all sorts of reasons. We’re asking parents to set themselves this challenge – learn something, no matter how much time you have. Even 15 minutes is enough to learn something that could make all the difference in an emergency.”

If you're going to be at the show then they recommend paying them a visit for a quick training courses which will be running every hour. However, if you can't make it down there they also have a website launching with plenty of  free videos and emergency advice. 

I'll definitely be there learning what I can just in case something awful happens and if you want more info then just click here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment