Pages

Monday 18 February 2013

Labour diary - days 3 & 4 the final hurdle




9th Jan – 2 days over

2AM

I wake to the sound of screaming from one of the other rooms on the ward. It sounds like some kind of animal in a severe amount of pain but it’s actually a woman who’s obviously experiencing some strong contractions. It’s absolutely terrifying.

4AM

The woman is still screaming but it’s getting worse. She’s just yelling for help and begging the midwife to make it stop. I can’t understand why she isn’t up on the labour ward being given some serious drugs. I pop my head out of the room to see if I can see more and I’m not the only one looking there’s a line of us all with the same petrified expression so another midwife rushes round trying to reassure us.  Funnily enough it doesn’t really work…

7AM

After finally getting a couple of hours dozing all the lights come on, and the healthcare assistant comes in with meds and does my temperature and blood pressure. Shortly afterwards the midwife appears to see how I’m feeling and breakfast is given. They’re concerned that I seem to be really dehydrated so I’m being force fed a lot of liquids.

9AM

Visiting hours have started so I’m listening out for the sound of Mr W arriving as I’m desperate for a cuddle. At the same time the midwife comes back and asks if I want a bath, whilst they change my bedding.

940AM

Mr W arrives on the ward with snacks and that much needed cuddle but as he steps away I suddenly feel a pop and my waters break all over the floor. It’s the weirdest sensation but I just feel excitement because it means something is really happening and I’m one step closer to meeting muffin.

10AM

Suddenly I feel my first proper contraction. It’s like a burning Catherine wheel in my back, not what I had expected at all but I just start taking big breaths, concentrating on breathing out. I always thought the whole breathing thing was a bit of a joke but it is surprisingly distracting.

3PM

The contractions are really starting to progress now and the midwife has just popped into say that they’re getting a room ready for me upstairs in the delivery suite. However slightly disappointingly after an examination I’m still not beginning to dilate so it looks like I’ll be hooked up to the syntocinon drip.

430PM

I’m finally being taken upstairs to the delivery suite to get this thing really going and it couldn’t come soon enough. My mum has also arrived as my second birthing partner, her role is to play bad cop to Mr W’s good and supportive.

445PM

I’m all settled into my room and the doctor’s and midwife have come in to discuss the next steps in my labour. As I haven’t dilated at all the decision is made to put me on the drip and give me an epidural which is slightly nerve racking.

5PM

The anesthetist arrives and talks me through the procedure and the risks. As the contractions are coming closer together I’m slightly nervous about how I’ll manage to keep still but luckily one arrives literally as they’re about to put the needle in so I know I’ll be ok. As soon as the drug is in I can start to feel it taking effect. After a couple of minutes I look round at the monitor and I can see a contraction is happening but I can’t feel a thing – heaven. The only thing I can feel is lots of pins and needles in my legs which isn’t particularly comfortable. The drip is then hooked up and we wait patiently for labour to really start progressing.

7PM

My midwife Sophie is finishing her shift and I’m waiting to find out who my new one will be. I know it’s something that happens but she’s been so lovely I’m really nervous about who the next one will be, so I beg her to find me someone nice. Thankfully in walks Elizabeth who is not only comforting but also has over 40 years experience so I can relax as I know I’m in the very best hands. I’m also starting to dilate!!

10th Jan – 3 days over

1210AM

After another examination I’m 6cms and we all start to get excited as it means things are definitely starting to progress!!! Elizabeth predicts that little muffin should be arriving at around 5AM so I’m told to get some rest.

1AM

It’s time for Elizabeth to go on her break so another midwife is told to keep an eye on me and ensure that my epidural is topped up every 30 mins as apparently if you lose control of it and the pain starts again it’s really difficult to get back on top of. I’m also seen by several doctors who are keeping an eye on my case but seem happy with the progress.

230AM

I wake up from a nap to find my back really aching and some intense contractions just as Elizabeth comes back into the room. She checks my chart and realizes that I haven’t been topped up at all and now we’ve started losing control of the epidural. We also discover after another examination (no real progress) that little muffin is back to back which is why I’m feeling thing so intensely in my back and pelvis.

4AM

I’m in real pain now as my contractions come thick and fast. I’m having two contractions back to back before a 30 second break and then they’re back again. I’m exhausted and the tears are starting to fall as Mr W and my mum hold onto me. The consultant also arrives for an examination and I haven’t progressed at all since midnight and they can’t turn up my drip any further. It looks like little muffin’s head is stuck in my pelvis. It also increasingly looks like I’m not going to be able to have this baby naturally and they start talking about giving me a c-section.

However despite the consultant saying he’s 90% sure I won’t be able to have this baby naturally he wants to wait another two hours to see if things can progress. At this point a slightly heated discussion occurs as I beg them to do it now as I really don’t feel I can wait another two hours in this pain and Elizabeth agrees but the decision is made that I have to wait.

630AM

At some point since the consultant was last in the epidural must have kicked in again and I’ve had some sleep but it’s time to wake up again as the team is back and after another examination I’m still 6cms.

The next thing I know the decision is made to give me an emergency c-section and things start to happen very quickly. Elizabeth chucks my pre-meds at me and she and my mum (who is also a nurse) start racing to get my med socks on. Within another five minutes the room is full of people to take me down to the operating theatre and help Mr W get my things together. Then I’m being wheeled out the room and across the hall to the theatre.

650AM

I’m on the operating table, trying so hard to be brave but internally I’m petrified and panicking as it hits me that I’m about to have major surgery. However the start is delayed for a couple more minutes as the surgeons discuss how to make the cut without destroying my tattoo. Today I’m glad they took at the time but at the time I really couldn’t have cared less.

712AM

Little muffin is here! The anesthetist pulls down the screen and I see him for the first time. It’s the weirdest experience as I desperately look at him hoping I’ll recognize him but I’m disappointed that I don’t really. However I’m soon distracted as Mr W turns to me and says, ‘are they supposed to be blue? Is that normal?’

I try to ignore him as I begin to really panic internally but then I hear someone say, ‘emergency delivery room 1’ and suddenly the room is filled with people. Mr W stands up and we wait for what feels like the longest time to hear muffin make a noise. Finally we hear him cry and the doctor tells us everything is ok he just had some fluid in his longs they needed to remove.

Unfortunately though before we can relax I realize that not all is going well down my end. The Drs seem to be talking is stressed tons and they keep asking the anesthetist to inject this drug and that drug. The worst part is though that Mr W is also know longer by my side as he’s meeting our new son so I have no one to voice my panic to. I can honestly say I have never been so scared in my life.

750AM

After another age my consultant pops his head around the screen and tells me that I’ll just be another couple of minutes as they finish stitching me up. I ask what went wrong and he explains that my uterus hadn’t contracted after they removed the placenta so I’d lost over a litre and a half of blood but everything was ok now.

I don’t get any time to dwell on it though as in the next moment my little son Arthur is placed beside me and I get to properly meet him for the first time.

810AM

At long last we’re out of theatre on HDU, just the three of us pretty exhausted but a family and ready to face the next set of challenges…  

Lots of love,

Mrs W xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment